Thursday, April 09, 2015

Don't blame me for the state of the NHS and Social Care..

Or my aged parent. The people doing stats, the economists, the politicians and everyone on the Bayswater Omnibus with the exception of the baby know that everyone grows old . Thankfully people are living much longer than in those days . I just can't understand why no one realises it and factors it in to the Budget forecast for the NHS and Social Care .

Why do I have to feel so guilty because my aged parent is in full time care in a Care Home in Beverley where the Care Staff are paid so very little ? 

 Mothers Care is not free .   It is not her fault she is old . I have had small use of the NHS really , and I have paid my way all my life, taxes and N.I.  My fathers contributions paid for my mother, who never really worked for money after her 4 children were born. She never stopped working however, washing, cooking , ironing , cleaning , gardening . She was in the WAF, and knows what a World War is like. She remembers her brother coming back from Dunkirk after standing so long in the water that when he got home his clothes were mouldy.

The sooner the agencies dealing with an increasingly AGED population get together and liase properly the better. My Gnome of Zurich sister doing Mothers finances has to wait months and months before adjustments are made in payouts and payins.

JUST TELLING YOU IF YOU WANT ME TO VOTE FOR YOU!

Its very difficult some times visiting my mother , who is really well cared for , mostly happy and contented, who is always clean, well fed. Her laundry is efficiently done and returned, her room  and bathroom always spotlessly clean.

Its really DIFFICULT because those kind carers and cheerful cleaners  are paid so VERY LITTLE for a job we will probably all need doing for us .

A little note of JOY. Mother and I had a lovely time together in the garden yesterday without coats. She was still able to name the shrubs and flowers and we both took such delight  in the prospect of spring springing and grass rizzing. 

WE found a few Sweet Peas had lasted all winter and were blooming outside in the raised beds next to the French Doors . I put one in a glass next to her Steradent as a surprise fragrance for her .

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I agree Margaret. As you so rightly say it does seem that apart from the would-be Prime Ministers, no-one even mentions the army of older people who may need full time care very soon.
    Even those who use it as an election prod have given it mere lip service and no long term thought.
    No-one wants to be in the hands of strangers in their later years, but we are not in a position to choose, Some of us will, some won't.
    Old-age care should, must, be made as routine a part of the economy as education. It is at both ends of our lives that we are most vulnerable and least able to fend for ourselves.
    Despite the glib repetition of the phrase "an ageing population" it seems not one of our 'esteemed' leaders has realised that it means them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray! I know I am ageing as I so look forward to the chiropodists visit !

    ReplyDelete