Sunday, January 09, 2011

The signs of the times...

Once again the glory is going to someone else...........King James. Now I am as pleased as anyone that the BBC is broadcasting excerpts of The Bible today in the KJV. I am pleased that I keep catching snatches of those words  beautiful language, our Heritage, and old familiar words.  I love the KJV, but no longer read it other than as a nostalgic treat. I am sorry that whilst praising the wonderful permission to have in Churches  what is ours anyway by the grace of God ,the Bible in English, that William Tyndale is an unsung hero. So Thank you William Tyndale for having the courage to make the first accessible translation of the NT for those without a classical education in 1534, most of our forbears that is. Now I know that it had very limited availability, and once again this was rather more to do with his comments on  the marriage plans of Henry V111. 
So we had the King James Bible , based on Tyndales translations ordered to be read in the Churches
I am reminded to re- assess my Bible reading Habits. I  had the KJV read to me every week from age 3 to 21. Some of it is so beautiful I want to cry '
See as larger file
Phillipians 2 for example
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth'

I do thank God for it.

But accessible NO.


I do not think Mr and Mrs Filey, Master Filey and Miss Filey would understand it at all. I am glad that many translations these days are available in these days of option excess, along with varieties of Breakfast Cereals and other stuffs of life. One may choose the version to read that appeals to personal taste. I am praying that personal taste will be for the Bible, and that God will use all this publicity to his glory.

See as  larger file

I have dug out the Bruce family Bible, well read and thumbed by my ancestors in Edinburgh in the 1790s onward. Though foxed, and unwealdy, it nevertheless stands testimony to a time when some families were able to have the Bible in their own language. 

It also stood as the registration of births and deaths before the law of 1836 . Thank you my Grammar School in Hull. I have engrained in My brain all the acts of the 19th Century, and this is the first time in 50 years I have ever actually needed to recall one. All the boy children of William Bruce and Christian Sutherland are mentioned-but none of the girls!

See as larger file
And for you Brian after your Psalm 16 on the Filey Parish Blog, I have found you the metrical one from the back of my family Bible. Your translation from the Net Bible is not so very different  if one looks really really really hard, and dont confuse s with f or is it f with s.

Why did I use Signs of the times as a header ,well that phrase was coined by Tyndale along with lots more familiar friends.See Wikipedia.

To God be the glory Great things He hath done.

No comments:

Post a Comment