Thursday, May 01, 2014

in on the plot

Two small boys in Reighton Nursery of the Botanical kind can actually have quite a good time if a visit to the 'cafe ' is factored in. I say 'cafe' but actually it is a small decked area in the middle of a green house down the houseplant end with a few tables and chairs and a vending machine. The boys loved it,  worked out all the options for the money available and enjoyed every mouthful and sip. A blackbird was the entertainment , resident no doubt amongst the verdage . Then on to the seeds. I gave them a sort of free rein.
Reuben chose Carrots and Zak, Sweetcorn . Colin and Zak have planted the Sweetcorn in modules ready for transplanting later . Plastic potlets are sitting in the corner of the yard waiting for warmth. Reuben and I ,with Cleo did serious business on the allotment. Reuben dug his metre square, removed the stones and strung 2 string marker lines across his tiny piece of England. He made the drills, sowed the seeds , covered them and watered them and now he is waiting too for warmth. Bernard my allotment partner will water them  whilst we are away. I am praying for gentle rain every evening as my Asparagus bed breathes a sigh of relief that its only in its second year and the pigeons are hopefully thwarted by the bird scarers . I am on my way to Iona , but thinking of what I'm leaving behind for 12 days and expecting miracles of the Growing Kind.

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you are back in green finger mode again. The trip to Iona, while probably wonderful will be at a time of year when our always unpredictable climate is at its most uncertain.
    Not quite Summer, sometimes Springlike and others dipping back into Winter.
    I do hope you suffer no setbacks in your absence, Am currently watching my tree peony like a hawk. It has 12 huge buds, the most it has ever had but frost is forecast for Friday night.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'm almost tempted to come this weekend too to water and lovingly tend ! But frost is forecast for tomorrow night so I must cover the echium now I have planted it . Now this year you really must get a sighting of THAT
    BIRD !!!!! Oh ! I really wish I was there again .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have forgotten all about my garden and all the cleaning i didnt do in the house before I left, and am sitting on my bed in Iona watching the ferry go in and out. Have just heard several Corncrakes very loudly taunting me . I love Tree peonies Ray . I cant imagine frost in May, but its cold in Iona and Colin has 4 layers on.

    ReplyDelete