Sunday, August 13, 2006

Feeding the five thousand

Exactly half way through the summer break and I have just wound down. The weather has changed of course, the rain is bringing a great crop of slugs, and perenniel weeds like nettles just to thwart my bare hands as I make my way to the compost heap with the peelings. I forget to tell you, I have had so many visitors since the last day of term, that all I have done is load the washing machine , the washing line, the fridge, and the dining table. Today three toddlers sat in high chairs eating, ham, cheese, salad, bread(a week old) and butter and (oven) chips, kiwi fruit (sliced) and buttered toffee bread and I realised that High Tea deserves an immediate revival as it takes no time to prepare and all the old contents of the fridge are eaten at one sitting.The adults were delighted, their progeny spoiled for choice, and Grandpa thrilled to recall a bygone Sunday era. I might just make a Madeira cake next week, and clean the silver teapot.

No comments:

Post a Comment